JSU Band Camp
Jackson State University
Department of Music
“The Sonic Boom of the South” Marching Band
O’Neill Sanford, Director of Bands
2016 Pre – Season
August 6th for Freshmen and August 9th Upperclassmen
Band Camp Requirements
- Proof of admission or readmission to Jackson State University
- A University Housing Contract (Permit), if you plan to live on campus. If you have questions, please contact the housing office at (601) 979-2326. The University will provide all meals. In addition, students reporting to band camp must be prepared to stay for the semester.
- Several pairs of navy shorts, several white T-shirts, white socks, white athletic shoes, and two or three solid colored navy blue baseball caps. This is the official BAND CAMP ATTIRE FOR ALL BANDSMEN. A pair of Black Oxford shoes will be required of all bandsmen who successfully complete pre-season band camp.
- Band members may be required to submit a DRUG TEST. The NCAA requires all athletes to take a drug test.
Intermediate, artist, or professional line instruments are required for participation in the “Sonic Boom.” Therefore, students with beginner level instruments will not be permitted to participate in the band. The university usually provides the following instruments: Sousaphones, Tubas, Percussion Instruments, Euphoniums, Bassoons, Oboes (Symphonic Band), and Marching French Horns. Students are responsible for obtaining all other instruments.
- All Sousaphone players must bring to band camp a neck, bits, and a mouthpiece to fit a King sousaphone.
- All Trombone players must bring to band camp a Bach 6 ½ AL mouthpiece or a comparable mouthpiece to band camp. Trombone players must also bring a straight and cup mute to band camp.
- All baritone horn players must bring to band camp two mouthpieces, a Bach 6 ½ AL.525 Bore and a Bach 6 ½ AL.560 Bore (Big Bore) mouthpiece or comparable mouthpieces.
- Clarinet players must bring to band camp four boxes of number three 3 ½ Vandoren reeds.
- Saxophone players must bring to band camp four boxes of number three 3 Vandoren reeds.
- All Trumpet players must bring to band camp a Bach 3C mouthpiece or a comparable mouthpiece. Trumpet players must also bring a straight and cup mute to band camp.
- Woodwind players may be required to purchase a different mouthpiece upon reporting to band camp.
We are glad to invite you to attend the Jackson State University “Sonic Boom of the South” percussion section “Mini-Camp” on Saturday, June 29th (4:00 – 9:00 p.m.) and Monday, July 2nd (8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.) at the F.D. Hall Music Center. Attendance at the Mini-Camp is mandatory for all percussion students interested in performing with the marching band, and is scheduled to coincide with orientation for incoming freshmen. The purpose of the Mini Camp is to introduce you to the structure, discipline, techniques and repertoire for the upcoming fall season. During this day you will be placed on instruments within the percussion section to learn warm-up exercises and parts to basic cadences. Only the students who perform at the highest level will be selected for the 2016 band camp, which will begin on Saturday, August 6th, 2016.
Students should arrive at the “Pre-Camp with the following items required for their instrument of choice:
- Snare Drum: 1 pair Silver Fox MS sticks, 1 Black Ludwig Cloth Snare Drum Strap. These can be purchased at Mississippi Music (Lakeland Dr., Jackson.), or Morrison Brothers Music (County Line Rd., Ridgeland).
- Quint Toms: 1 Pairs American Drum Company aluminum handle mallets (black) with clear “lexan ball” heads. This can be purchased at Mississippi Music (Lakeland Dr., Jackson.), or Morrison Brothers Music (County Line Rd., Ridgeland), or online at www.americandrum.com .
- Tenor Drum: 1 White cloth Ludwig Bass Drum strap, “X” style with clips. 1 Pair American Drum Company Felt head BJ2 Medium Bass Drum mallets. These can be purchased at Mississippi Music (Lakeland Dr., Jackson.), or Morrison Brothers Music (County Line Rd., Ridgeland), or online at www.americandrum.com .
- Bass Drum: 1 White cloth Ludwig Bass Drum strap, “X” style with clips. 1 Pair American Drum Company Felt head Extra Large Bass Drum mallets. These can be purchased at Mississippi Music (Lakeland Dr., Jackson), or Morrison Brothers Music (County Line Rd., Ridgeland), or online at www.americandrum.com .
- Cymbals: 1 package of large white handkerchiefs, 2 cymbal pads (White buffing pads). These can be found in automotive section at Wal-Mart or an auto parts store
Please direct any additional questions to Mr. Little at (601) 979-2148, or email him at Roderick.email@example.com. We look forward to welcoming you to Jackson State University on Thursday afternoon, July 19, 2015!
Formal Ensemble Requirements
Formal Ensemble Dress needed for all ensemble performances (i.e. Symphonic, Concert, Orchestra, Jazz, Woodwind Ensemble, Brasswind Ensemble, Percussion ensemble)
Acceptable Dress for Men:
- Black tuxedo (without tails) or black suit
- Plain white long sleeve shirt without ruffles
- Both a black bowtie and black long tie
- Black socks
- Black dress shoes
Unacceptable Dress for Men (Not all inclusive):
- White socks
- Non-white shirts
- Short sleeve white shirts
- Black athletic shoes
- Non-black shoes
Acceptable Dress for Women:
- Black dress/skirt (loosely fitted and should extend 8″ below the knee when seated)
- Black blouse
- Black pants
- Black dress shoes
Unacceptable Dress for Women (Not all inclusive):
- Clothing that exposes cleavage, the midriff, or undergarments when seated
- Short dresses/skirts that do not cover the knees when seated
- Tight dress/skirts that are “form fitting”
- Sleeveless dresses/blouses
- Spaghetti strap dresses/blouses
- Black slacks or pants that are “form fitting” with the rear pockets on the outside of the garment
- Any other garments that are “form fitting”
- Black knee length pants (i.e. capris or sweatpants)
- Black long/short athletic tights
- Black jeans
- Black athletic shoes
- Heels above 3″